The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Sunday, January 15, 2006

My Favorites

Last night I was minding my own business (isn't that the way these things always start?), editing my bookmarks; managing "My Favorites", if you will. Just seeing what was there, removing the obscure ones that I didn't remember the reason for bookmarking, trying to make some semblance of order. I had just started alphabetizing my blogging buddies (don't laugh, you should see my pantry shelves after my daughter has decided to line things up for me... I guess she comes by it honestly). Anyway, that's when the power went out. Or should I say, a circuit-breaker broke, or whatever it does. Yes, I had my trusty electric heater going, and yes, I had a few lights on, and of course the dehumidifier was humming away in the crawl space, and maybe the washer and dryer were going.... But the final straw was that PR had just re-filled the water distiller and turned it on. Now, I'm not blaming him. That task could have fallen to me, and I'm grateful for all the things he does around here.
Anyway, it wasn't a big deal. Just turn off a few lights/appliances, unbreak the circuit breaker, or whatever it is you do, and then re-boot the old Sony. Right?
Well, you don't want to be editing your "favorites" list when the power goes out. My bookmarks were gone. Totally, consummately, entirely, fully, thoroughly, wholly, altogether, purely, quite honestly gone. And I mean gone AWOL, gone elsewhere, gone missing. Vanished.
But I've discovered it really isn't that big a deal. Through my blog, and comments from blogger friends, I've recuperated the most important links :-) and I get to start with a clean slate for all my yet-to-be-discovered favorites.

10 Comments:

  • At 1/15/2006 1:35 PM, Blogger Whistle Britches said…

    I lost a post that I had worked 45 minutes on the same way. Then I got tagged so everything worked out for the best. I forgot to ask how the sermon went after the pulpit prayer fire....

     
  • At 1/15/2006 7:06 PM, Blogger Corry said…

    I once had been sweating over a post and when I was ready to post it, the power went out. Arrgghhh! Post lost and I could start all over again. Don't you love it when that happens?!?!

    God's Grace.

     
  • At 1/15/2006 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    pick meeeeeee, pick meeeeeeeeeeeeah. okay. sorry bout that. sorry bout your circuit thingy, i did not know that could happen with the favorites, but i supposed anythings possible with a computer.

     
  • At 1/15/2006 9:51 PM, Blogger Curious Servant said…

    Glad you found your way back through the virtual maze.

     
  • At 1/16/2006 12:25 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    I'm sorry too. I didn't realize the favorites could be lost that way. For us, I have most of my favorites on Mrs. Jim's computer too so that wouldn't be real bad.
    In fact, losing them might be the only way my favorites would get cleaned up.

    I would like to be added back in to your 'BlogLog,' just ahead of Job's Tales. Thanks
    ..

     
  • At 1/16/2006 2:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thank you for your prayers. i really appreciate them. God bless you always, seeker.

     
  • At 1/16/2006 2:28 PM, Blogger Kc said…

    I hope you can find it in your heart to continue to find your way to my place too. I have become "seeker sensative" and would miss your thoughts. ;-)

     
  • At 1/16/2006 3:56 PM, Blogger Jenn said…

    Ok, my list is ready. What Susie said about the two items of clothing, I imagined people might be thinking that very thing, therefore I have listed two full-coverage items of clothing I am wearing!

     
  • At 1/16/2006 4:33 PM, Blogger Ralph said…

    I lost quite a few not long ago when we had a power surge. It's a pain but like you say it is also a clean slate.
    Ralph

     
  • At 1/17/2006 12:30 AM, Blogger audrey` said…

    Oh dear!
    I'm so sorry to hear about this great loss. It's so sad :(
    I had typed a few posts on different occasions. Then when I pressed the "publish" button, the posts were gone!
    I still remember the morning when I stumbled upon Corry's great site, I wrote her url down on a piece of paper immediately. Haha! I trust pen and paper more.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home