The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Friday, January 13, 2006

Consider it all joy...

Pastor Rich called me at work yesterday. (Pastor Rich, henceforth known as PR, is my husband.) The first words out of his mouth were, "Consider it all joy". As I mentally finished the quote "when you encounter various trials" (James 1:2), I knew this wasn't going to be a "Hello, Sweetheart" kind of a conversation.

"OK, What happened?"

PR - "Well, first I lost the car. Then I came inside, and the kitchen was flooded."

"What?! You lost the car? What happened?"

PR -"No, I washed the car."

"Oh... whew! You had me worried for a min........ Whoa! The kitchen's flooded?!" But I already had the scene pictured:

Outside temperature = 50F
50F = Springlike conditions in Chicago
Spring = wash the road salt off your car
wash car = hook up hose at side of house near kitchen
old hose hookup = cracked pipes??

PR -"But I got it all mopped up."

"No big deal then, right?"

PR -"Well, I started wondering about the crawl space....."

"Oh, boy."

PR -"Yep. But it's only about an inch, in most places...."

So now we have the dehumidifier working non-stop in the crawl space. I'm glad for the day last summer when I cleaned in there, and joyful that God is working on our endurance.




10 Comments:

  • At 1/13/2006 10:01 AM, Blogger Kc said…

    I really appreciate PR's attitude, mainly because I'm constantly reminding myself in the same way.

     
  • At 1/13/2006 11:17 AM, Blogger Bill said…

    I agree....PR is wise to believe the Lord words and to use these scriptures in these timely times. Thanks for sharing and I pray that everything cleans up ok.

     
  • At 1/13/2006 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i'm so glad he didn't loose the car. that would have been really hard to understand. hope you dry up. but don't blow away!!

     
  • At 1/13/2006 1:32 PM, Blogger Corry said…

    At times like that I remind myself:"This too shall pass". But I will add James 1:2 to it:-)
    I pray all will work out for the best.

    God's Grace.

     
  • At 1/14/2006 1:32 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    You will have words of wisdom for him. Our pastor's wife, Mrs. Preacher, always does for him. They get to be a part of his humor from the pulpit.
    I think he makes some of his things up. Or don't preachers do things like that?
    ..

     
  • At 1/14/2006 7:25 AM, Blogger audrey` said…

    How is your place now?
    Hopefully everything is okay :)

     
  • At 1/14/2006 8:17 AM, Blogger Kitty Cheng said…

    consider it all joy....what wisdome! Hope everything is fine now.

     
  • At 1/14/2006 10:16 AM, Blogger Suzy-Q said…

    What a good attitude. Might as well find humor in life. It sure beats cryin about it!

     
  • At 1/14/2006 11:41 AM, Blogger Seeker said…

    Things are drying out; there are still a few puddles, and it smells quite musty, but no serious damage. Rubbermaid storage bins work well!
    (There's a sermon illustration everywhere you look.)

     
  • At 1/14/2006 1:09 PM, Blogger Whistle Britches said…

    I was tagged this moring with a meme and my wife made me do it. then she made me tag you so it's her fault. see aj's or mine, or susies blog..... for the meme scheme.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home