The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Storage

Where do you store your stuff? Wherever it is, I'm sure it evokes deep feelings of ambivalence.

I recently spent several hours, with the help of my daughter, cleaning out our "crawl space". Since she's twenty-four weeks pregnant I didn't allow her to actually enter the black hole, but she was great at cheering me on and giving advice.
"Advice?", you ask. Yes, advice. To keep or not to keep, mainly.

Well, wherever it is that you keep your stuff, I know you love that place and you hate it, too.
If it's well-hidden, most of the time you don't even think about it. You go about your life, blissfully unaware but sub-consciously assured, that the certain something you will someday need is safely tucked away somewhere. If it's all-too visible, you are all-too aware that someday you will have to do something with all that stuff.

Now, I'm not talking about those holiday decorations, or that extra gallon of paint you're keeping for touch-ups, or the box of ceramic tiles you'll need to fix the shower stall. I think you know what I'm talking about.... so I'm not going to make a list, even if I knew where to start!

I would guess that most of us are pretty good at accumulating things, and the reasons are many: we might need it someday; it's still in pretty good shape; I paid a lot of money for it; it might fit me/come back in style again; it was a gift; it has sentimental value...
Whatever the "thing" is, it has us in its clutches and we're afraid to part with it.

Waddling around in the crawl space; bumping my head and bruising my knees, some thoughts came to me: Do I own it or does it own me? And, is it worth it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home