The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Rebellion?

There's a rebel in our neighborhood: a robin has refused to fly south for the winter.

We first spotted him about mid-November, fluttering around the curb out front, and felt sorry for him, thinking he was injured and unable to fly. We were sure the coming winter would bring his demise.

I don't know where he hid out during those two awful weeks in December when the thermometer refused to surpass the teens, but he's still with us, folks. Temperatures have climbed into the thirties this week and there he is, first thing in the morning, singing from the treetops at the top of his lungs as if Spring had arrived out of sequence this year. From the treetops. He can fly!

We're trying to figure him out. Either he knows something we don't, and we're in for a mild winter, or he's got a better idea of how his Creator should have programmed him. We're hoping it's the former, rather than the latter. Besides, I thought we were the only rebels in God's creation....

5 Comments:

  • At 12/31/2005 2:20 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    Three girls and their mom, having a nice time!
    "Girls just wan'a have fun."

    I'll bet the robin knows you throw out bugs from bagged salads.

    Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

     
  • At 12/31/2005 5:25 PM, Blogger Kc said…

    Jim may be on to something, anyway it's nice knowing I'm not the only nut in the fruit bowl. I hope he's still singing in the spring. ;-)

     
  • At 12/31/2005 5:27 PM, Blogger Seeker said…

    Aha! That's one crafty robin.... I believe he'll make it. (I just hope he had God's permission to stay.)

     
  • At 12/31/2005 5:57 PM, Blogger Whistle Britches said…

    Okay, that's my robin. The "Robin", my sidekick. He's been waiting for me to get to Chicago. Tell him Batman is getting closer everyday!

     
  • At 12/31/2005 6:06 PM, Blogger Seeker said…

    Why didn't I think of that?! Hurry, Batman.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home