The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Put That Away!

While we're out jogging, PR likes to point things out along the way. He's usually the first to spot Mr. Robin, high in a treetop.

Today, a panel van, with three men crammed in the front, passed by as we were crossing the street.
"Did you smell the coffee?"
"Nope... too busy.... breathing..."

Then this:
"Look, a Christmas tree!"
"Where?"
"In that house... there."
Sure enough. There it was, in the front window. Decorated. Thankfully, the lights were not lit.

I did a quick mental calculation (all the while remembering to breathe)... February 7th... OK, so maybe it's become a fixture, and they don't even notice it anymore.

Later, in the shower (when my brain was re-oxygenated) I mulled it over. (Actually, I do some of my best thinking in the shower. Except when PR is home keeping an eye on the gas bill. Shhh, don't tell him.) Sometimes you notice things because they seem out of place, and sometimes you don't notice things until they are missing.

For instance, while we were in Missouri this weekend, I got a call from Karina, who'd come to Chicago with Jason and the boys for a party and were staying overnight at our house.
"Whatdja do with our high school pictures?"
She hadn't been home since I'd decided, a few weeks earlier, to make some decorating changes, and had taken down our kids' senior pictures, circa 1995-2000.

When the good things disappear, we miss them.

But when life's seasons change, we have to be ready to put things away.


10 Comments:

  • At 2/07/2006 1:27 PM, Blogger Joyce said…

    Thanks for visiting my blog! I've been reading around in yours and enjoying myself! I'll be back!

     
  • At 2/07/2006 3:51 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    It's true we often don't miss things until they are gone. Good post!

     
  • At 2/07/2006 10:51 PM, Blogger Jenn said…

    Every time we'd drive by a soda can lying by the side of the road, my dad would yell, "there's five cents!" I've been raised to always return cans for the refund!

     
  • At 2/08/2006 1:41 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    I do a lot of thinking in the shower too.
    And I don't put things away like that. I just put them up. Then when the season is ready for them again, I get them down, wash them and viola, I'm ready for that new season.
    Besides if I put them away I might forget where they were.
    That was literally, but I don't forget things either. Even when seasons have changed.
    At home, my mom put my things away. She could find them. Mrs. Jim has been trying to train me differently for 33 years now.
    ..

     
  • At 2/08/2006 3:47 AM, Blogger audrey` said…

    It's true that we don't know how to appreciate a person or thing until he/she or it is gone. By then, it's too late.

     
  • At 2/08/2006 9:36 PM, Blogger Paul Nichols said…

    Well, if you ever want to give away your JFK newspapers, call me first. I'll pay you. The first one I collected was his assassination, but it got lost and I'm still brooding about it.

    Thanks for coming by my joint.

     
  • At 2/10/2006 7:07 AM, Blogger Kitty Cheng said…

    We shouldn't take things / people for granted.

    Yet to put things away can be difficult.

     
  • At 2/10/2006 7:59 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said…

    Previous post: Congrats Mark!!
    ----------
    We get used to things being in the same place, and when something changes it can shake things up a bit.

     
  • At 2/13/2006 1:23 AM, Blogger Shelley said…

    Great post. Enjoyed it...

     
  • At 2/13/2006 9:14 AM, Blogger keesh said…

    That is so true. similar thing, I went to my Mom's and my wedding portrait was missing off her wall. SHe was in the hospital after her surgery so i mentioned it, she was like "well I just don't like it where it was and was thinking maybe you might want it." Oh the rejection :). I guess 6 years is a while though :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home