The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Thursday, December 08, 2005

On NOT Hibernating

I was groggy this morning, and poking my nose out from under the comforter was all I could manage for about 10 minutes.
It doesn't help that we, that is, my husband turns down the thermostat to 58 at bedtime. Even when I'm not groggy, I wait until he gets up and cranks up the thermostat before putting my feet on the floor. In the name of cost-savings this winter, he's been cranking it all the way up to about 63 degrees. To his credit, I have to say he bought me a couple of those electric space heaters to take the chill off (or thaw out my feet, as the case may be).
I've always been a morning person, but as I age it's getting easier to cling to the covers in the morning. Or maybe it is this cold snap we're having.
We exercise almost every day; 6:00 AM, sharp. We alternate running days with walking days. Today was a walking day, but when I read the outside thermometer at 14F I knew we'd be improvising indoors, again. The upside is that we live 1/2 block from the church where my husband pastors, and there's a gym. The downside is, walking around and around in a small gym gets old very quickly. Besides that, I was still quite sluggish. My husband even mentioned that if we could count our steps, we might actually be able to walk with our eyes closed and still make all the turns without hitting any walls...
While I didn't try his game, I did get creative following all the lines painted on the floor; basketball, volleyball, floor hockey, the AWANA lines.... do you realize how many different patterns you can trace in 30 minutes? Well, once the blood got pumping and my brain cells woke up, I actually had a good time. Not quite as much fun as running outdoors when it's above freezing, but it'll have to do until we're out of this deep freeze.

5 Comments:

  • At 12/08/2005 8:13 PM, Blogger 4evergapeach said…

    I am definitely not a morning person! So nice weather or not you won't find me running at that time of the morning. But I do enjoy walking in the afternoons. Here the temp was 1 degree this morning. Yes that's F! Tonight we are under a storm alert. Up to 8-9 inches of snow predicted before it's over. As much as I love the snow, I am not looking forward to driving to work in the morning.

     
  • At 12/09/2005 12:50 PM, Blogger Whistle Britches said…

    I am doing much better today. No hairdryer needed even though it was -7 in my neck of the woods this morning. I used to carry a lighter in my pocket in the winter time so I could heat up the key and place in door lock.

     
  • At 12/11/2005 11:36 AM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    I'm renting a newer condo, and one thing I love here is the programmable thermostat. it turns itself down to 60 before we go to bed and wakes back up to 72 right before we get up--all by itself.

     
  • At 12/12/2005 6:42 AM, Blogger andrĂ© said…

    cooooold.
    good thing you have the will to keep exercising. I wouldn't even set foot outside, unless I had to go to work or something.

     
  • At 12/13/2005 4:20 PM, Blogger Corry said…

    I got here through Kc and I enjoy your blog:-)
    I admire your persistance to keep up the exercise and even more the courage to get out of bed in that cold, brrrr...

    God's Grace.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home