The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

When Machines Talk Back

For a few months I've been helping out on Wednesdays in the church office, while they're "between" secretaries. Mainly, I put the bulletin together but there are plenty of other things that need doing, so I keep busy. Usually I can crank out the bulletin in around four hours. That's when all the equipment is working the way it's supposed to...

Today was one of those days when nothing wanted to work right. The copier is limping along, waiting for some parts that are on order. This week, it wants to be hand-fed and mollycoddled, so everything takes twice as long. It was a great copier when it was new (about ten years ago) and can still do a good job when it wants to. When I have trouble with it, I just call in PR. It seems like the copier sees him coming, because as soon as he pushes the button, it behaves perfectly.

Then there's the bulletin folding machine.... Our bulletin is double-folded, and up until today the machine always did the second fold backwards so I ended up having to refold that flap by hand. Well, PR worked his magic, and today, for the first time, the machine got it right! I was so excited that both folds came out exactly as they should... until I noticed that about every 7th bulletin came out with a crinkly chunk taken out of it. Arrrgh! No wonder the previous bulletin person had set the machine to reverse that second fold. It's an obvious revolt of the machines.

I know there's a sermon illustration lurking here, but I'm too tired to look for it right now. I'm going to bed.

7 Comments:

  • At 1/25/2006 10:29 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    I'm not good at finding sermons. Maybe there is a moral here. I can't find one of these here either.
    Get a good night's sleep.
    ..

     
  • At 1/26/2006 2:11 AM, Blogger audrey` said…

    Hi Karen. It's one of those challenging days...

     
  • At 1/26/2006 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the printer i'm using here in the office has a mind of its own and it ticks me off when it eats the paper in and spit it out crinkly. well, the printer has been with us for 6 years now so i guess somehow that's already expected.

     
  • At 1/28/2006 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you have a bulletin folding machine. that is pretty cool. there could be a sermon illustration here, just use something about duct tape. thats what i do.

     
  • At 1/29/2006 3:38 AM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    This made me laugh. I'm a PK, and I've always called myself "The Living Sermon Illustration."

     
  • At 1/29/2006 2:20 PM, Blogger Kc said…

    So it wasn't just me this week? ;-)

    Thanks for your prayers and support. You're a wonderful sister!

     
  • At 1/30/2006 8:35 AM, Blogger Corry said…

    Machines aren't perfect, no wonder, they are man-made, hehe.

    Thanks for your care and prayers! It helps alot.

    God's Grace.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home