The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Monday, March 20, 2006

Spring has Sprung


Twelve years ago I bought a flat of marigolds to plant beside the walkway. Yellow and orange. I loved the way they brightened up the landscape.

So, every fall I pick a bagful of spent blooms to use for seeding my next year's crop. I always pick too many, but that's okay. I just scatter the extras here and there among the perennials.

Last week I decided it was time to start some seeds. So now there's a flat of soil mix covered with a plastic dome sitting on my kitchen counter. I thought it might be too chilly for them to germinate, since we've (read: PR has) been keeping one eye on the thermostat and another on the gas bill this winter. They really do prefer temperatures in the 70's, you know.

But, behold! This morning the first tiny bits of green have appeared. Hooray! What a fitting herald of spring.

OK, I'm ready to start planning the garden of 'o6, and getting my hands and knees dirty. But someone needs to inform the sun to try a little harder; it's the first day of spring, and he hasn't gotten the thermometer past 34F yet.

15 Comments:

  • At 3/20/2006 11:08 AM, Blogger Kc said…

    I wish I could share your enthusiasm. We're already fighting back the jungle. ;-)

     
  • At 3/20/2006 12:56 PM, Blogger Corry said…

    That gives me "Spring-tickles" as is said in Dutch. I would love to start digging and planting but...the dog would dig and re-plant right behind me, haha.

    God's Grace.

     
  • At 3/20/2006 9:58 PM, Blogger Whistle Britches said…

    Spring Has Sprung
    The Marigold shoots are young
    (at least they don't shoot their young!)

    PR is getting older
    Yet the Thermostat stay colder?

     
  • At 3/20/2006 9:59 PM, Blogger Whistle Britches said…

    s

     
  • At 3/20/2006 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    crickies. thats cold. you better complain about the fact that global warming has not come to your town yet

     
  • At 3/21/2006 3:36 AM, Blogger audrey` said…

    I love flowers too :)

     
  • At 3/21/2006 6:06 PM, Blogger keesh said…

    Sounds like you are quite the gardener. I am terrible at it. I could kill a silk plant. :).

     
  • At 3/21/2006 6:50 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    You have the gardening fever!! I love marigolds. They bloom for so long.

     
  • At 3/21/2006 8:40 PM, Blogger Ralph said…

    I am so with you - bring on Spring. Happy planting.
    Ralph

     
  • At 3/23/2006 1:29 PM, Blogger Jenn said…

    I love spring. I never expect it to arrive on its calendar date though. I'll give it another month. I love it when the first flowers come up.

     
  • At 3/23/2006 7:29 PM, Blogger Jenn said…

    I love your marigolds. they keep away the skeeters!

     
  • At 3/24/2006 9:10 AM, Blogger Paul Nichols said…

    Go, go go!

     
  • At 3/26/2006 4:12 PM, Blogger Suzy-Q said…

    We already have some little budding plants in our flower bed! I believe it is my hostas and my cilantro is coming along nicely too. I love Mexican Heather...have you seen it?? Very pretty and dainty. I let the girls choose what flowers are planted in the front flower bed and they have a good time planting them, although they believe it is a race to see whose flowers grow the tallest and biggest. :o)

     
  • At 3/29/2006 7:18 AM, Blogger audrey` said…

    How are you, Karen?

    Please have a very blessed day.
    Jesus loves you, sis =]

     
  • At 3/29/2006 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "...to tell the sun to try a little harder" wow! i wish i could say the same. it's too hot here!

    i love flowers but i haven't tried planting. i wonder if i also have a green thumb?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home