The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Monday, February 27, 2006

This is Only a Test

After PR left for work this morning, I noticed a banana peel lying on the floor in the middle of the TV room. I almost picked it up. Then I thought, "No, I'm not going to pick up his banana peel." It was a first for me. It's totally against the grain for me to react like that. If there's something out of place I have to fix it.

You don't know how hard it was for me to leave that thing lying there. Every time I walked by, I would automatically start to bend down for it, then stop short, "He just knows that I will throw his garbage away. Won't he be surprised?!"

It was a long morning, but I persevered. When PR came home for lunch, he noticed it without my drawing his attention to it. He even tried to tell me he'd left it there on purpose. If he did, then he certainly was surprised to see that it hadn't magically disappeared. Now there's a man who knows how to keep his wife's thoughts on him all morning.

9 Comments:

  • At 2/27/2006 8:48 PM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    "There's a man who knows how to keep his wife's thoughts on him...
    What a fresh perspective, and it certainly gave me a giggle. Perhaps your kind of outlook is the key to a long-lasting marriage.

     
  • At 2/27/2006 9:10 PM, Blogger An Ordinary Christian said…

    My mother always cleaned up after me. Actually, she tried to get me to become a neat person, but it just never was in my personality. How I miss her not picking up for me in my house with my family. If you come over, walk around the banana peels, plastic bottles, laundry...(!)

     
  • At 2/28/2006 4:51 AM, Blogger Kc said…

    Anyway you could delete this post before Corry sees it? (hehe)

    PR is da man! ;-)

     
  • At 2/28/2006 6:03 AM, Blogger Corry said…

    Wow Karen, I can just imagine how much persistance and perseverence that took to leave it there. Just like you I would be "itching" to pick it up and throw it away, haha.
    Whether PR did it on purpose or not, did he ever give you the reason why he left it there???

    Kc, too late! I already "slipped" over it, (grin). Besides, you don't need a banana-peel to keep my thoughts on you, hehe.

    God's Grace.

     
  • At 2/28/2006 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh he did NOT leave it there on purpose. that was a "man save" so he didn't look stupid. good for you waiting it out. i have a huge problem with things in the middle of the floor that people walk over. do family excercise time where you practice "bend, stoop, grab, and straighten". repeat 20 times.

     
  • At 2/28/2006 9:36 AM, Blogger Whistle Britches said…

    You know what would have been funny, at least to me.
    If you had waited to hear him come in the door and then make a large crashing sound and then lie in the floor like you just slipped on it. That'll get him!

     
  • At 2/28/2006 11:12 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    Now, now, you guys are too hard on poor PR. Mrs. Jim leaves things too.
    Generally I don't pick her stuff up and she doesn't pick mine up.
    My mother always picked my things up, even my clothes.
    I found out later she was going through my pockets while picking up. This was after reading the 'on subject note' she left me.
    She never said another word about this.
    Maybe she thought I had reformed, as my pockets got better real fast.
    ..

     
  • At 3/01/2006 12:27 AM, Blogger Rachel said…

    I would have had a hard time leaving it there all morning too! I liked Uncle Joe's idea! Nothing like slipping on a banana peel!

     
  • At 3/02/2006 1:46 AM, Blogger audrey` said…

    Wow!
    You're a very careful lady.
    You didn't slip on the banana peel =P

     

Post a Comment

<< Home