The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Clean vs. Messy

This morning I mentioned to PR that we should clean up a bit around here, since the grandsons are coming over to visit this weekend. He said, "Isn't it kind of backward to clean up when those little guys are just going to come along a mess things up?" I didn't answer, but here's what I should've said:

Clean is a sparkling kitchen. Messy is a fridge filled with sippy cups and bottles.
Clean is empty trash cans. Messy is trash cans filled with disposable diapers.
Clean is scrubbed floors and vacuumed carpets. Messy is a trail of animal crackers, Goldfish, toys and puzzle pieces.
Clean is a freshly-made bed. Messy is finding a small sock under the covers.
Clean is a polished bathtub. Messy is a bathtub ringed with rubber ducks, fish, and baby shampoo.
Clean is a streak-free window. Messy covers it with tiny handprints.

Messy is okay. It goes home too soon.

7 Comments:

  • At 7/26/2006 11:59 AM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    Awwww... Sometimes a little messy really is a sign of a well-lived life.

     
  • At 7/26/2006 12:40 PM, Blogger Kc said…

    Well said Cheryl. Great perspective sis. ;-)

     
  • At 7/26/2006 1:22 PM, Blogger Corry said…

    Messy sounds lovely:-)

    God's Grace.

     
  • At 7/28/2006 12:39 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    You won't mind those messes. I sure hope PR will help clean up after the visit.
    ..

     
  • At 7/28/2006 7:05 AM, Blogger MaryM said…

    Now that I have had experience, I know what PR means. Of course, I am the one who said I would clean my house when my kids grew up...
    (Now I have another generations of excuses!)

     
  • At 7/28/2006 10:04 AM, Blogger Paul Nichols said…

    An awesome post. Very good job!! Messy = love. Who would have things any other way?

     
  • At 7/28/2006 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well said, Seeker! As my mother once said, "That child needs your attention now. Someone else can clean your house after you're dead and gone." In fact, after the Air Force moved us 2500 miles away, mom mentioned that she had saved one wall of finger and handprints next to the kitchen table. A clean house can be a bittersweet experience.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home