The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Friday, February 10, 2006

Apple Pie

My mother's name is Mary, but we all call her Mimi.
Her father's name was Alpheus Montague. To us, he was Grandpa Monte.
His father's name was Marcus, but everyone called him Mark, except his grandchildren. They called him BoPop.
His mother's name was Sally; my great-great grandmother.
Her father's name was Amos. His last name was White. How plain.
His mother's name was Mary. I wonder what her nickname was...
Her father's name was Horatio. Brigadier General Horatio Gates (1727–1806), American general in the American Revolution. (If you want, you can follow the links on this website to arrive at my name, Karen.)

You could say I'm as American as the title of today's post, but you know, I got here the easy way. I have an admiration for those who have left their birth countries, and made a choice to proudly swear allegiance to our country and our flag:


"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the armed forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

Now, that’s a big step, and it takes guts. And it’s something my family, or at least one long branch of it, hasn’t had to even think about for over eight generations. Thank you, Great-great-great-great-great-Grandpa Horatio.


8 Comments:

  • At 2/11/2006 3:05 AM, Blogger Kc said…

    Great post Karen and you've got an incredible heritage! Okay going now to look you up. ;-)

     
  • At 2/11/2006 11:04 AM, Blogger vandorsten said…

    Nice...

     
  • At 2/11/2006 7:37 PM, Blogger Whistle Britches said…

    Montagues eh?
    What about Capulet's?

    You know that's really cool.

    I can't trace anything.

     
  • At 2/12/2006 12:33 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    That is a loaded promise these people make. Some take it pretty seriously, I think.
    When I was sworn into the Army I had to promise most of this. I can't remember all. Mark might remember his. You would be surprised how close they are.
    I do remember the Texas Bar oath, we had to uphold [and maybe protect] the Constitution of the United States.
    ..

     
  • At 2/12/2006 11:47 AM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    Fascinating stuff, geneology is! My mom just sent me some info like this on our family. I don't know that I've ever heard this pledge--thank you for putting it here.

     
  • At 2/12/2006 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    my name is susie, but lots of people call me "hey you". i will trace that back.

     
  • At 2/12/2006 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you gave me an idea! i'd also like to trace back the names of my ancestors. cool!

     
  • At 2/13/2006 5:08 PM, Blogger audrey` said…

    Happy Valentine's Day Karen!
    Jesus loves you very much.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home