The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Chill Out

In the middle of relaxing last evening, we were jolted by a loud clattering noise that seemed to reverberate throughout the radiators. I ran one direction and PR ran the other. He discovered that something had definitely gone wrong with the pump on our furnace boiler.

The repairman said he'd be here between 8 and 9 in the morning. Great. All I could think of was slowly freezing to death in my sleep....

I woke this morning, surprisingly. No, I mean it was surprisingly comfortable in the house. Checking the thermometer, I noticed it was 40 degrees outside, which is quite mild for 5:30am in Chicago on the 23rd of February.

And I knew what PR was going to say before he said it: "Looks like we don't really need that old furnace after all."

Do you think he was serious?

8 Comments:

  • At 2/23/2006 12:26 PM, Blogger Corry said…

    Just pop your ice-cold feet under his legs and I think the furnace may get fixed real quick, haha.

    God's Grace.

     
  • At 2/23/2006 12:34 PM, Blogger Kc said…

    It works for Corry anyway.

    I'm thankful it didn't freeze and I hope by the time I've made this comment it's already repaired and at a minor cost. ;-)

     
  • At 2/23/2006 2:22 PM, Blogger Whistle Britches said…

    Yes, I'm afraid he is serious and you will have to move to Oklahoma asap.
    Have you ever seen A Christmas Story? where the dad is always in the basement fighting the furnace? I know you don't watch movies a lot but.....you could send PR into the basement with a baseball and tell him to take care of the beast...

     
  • At 2/23/2006 6:24 PM, Blogger Joe said…

    Thanks for the visit. Come back often. You never know what you'll find.

    We don't have to worry about furnaces down here in Southwest Florida.

    Just hurricanes.

     
  • At 2/23/2006 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i think he is serious. and i think you'll have to GET serious on his rear end, and get him moving down to buy a new one.

     
  • At 2/23/2006 8:20 PM, Blogger Jenn said…

    wow, you can read his mind.

     
  • At 2/24/2006 2:20 AM, Blogger audrey` said…

    Please take care Sister!

     
  • At 2/24/2006 8:49 AM, Blogger John Cowart said…

    Here in North East Florida the temp has hovered just below 80 all this month. No heating bills to worry about... However, when the air conditioner kicks on in a month or so!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home