The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Monday, December 18, 2006

Farewell

I hate goodbyes.

But, if you have to say goodbye, you do it the way our church in Chicago did yesterday. We gathered as a family for a delicious potluck dinner and time of sharing. PR and I don't necessarily enjoy the spotlight, and we were a bit embarrassed by the "open microphone" tributes, but it was wonderful to fellowship one-on-one with so many dear ones. The time together and memories shared will warm our hearts in the days and weeks ahead.

It's nice to know we will see many of these friends again; if not here, in heaven. So it's not good-bye; it's see-you-later.

p.s. Karina is hanging in there, by God's grace.

5 Comments:

  • At 12/18/2006 5:55 PM, Blogger Whistle Britches said…

    Okay, well, you know my heart (what's left of it) nearly jumped out of my bat-chest when I read your "Farewell" title of this post.
    I thought you were saying goodbye to us....shame on you for scaring a heart patient like that...

    Pastor/church goodbye farewells are always bittersweet...
    It's hard to say goodbye to friends, but exciting to veer into the unknown. Look at all those open windows......

     
  • At 12/18/2006 10:20 PM, Blogger Saucy said…

    You scared me, too! I just wanted to say, as the mother of two preemies, one that survived heartily and one that did not, there is a plan in place for us all and I thoroughly believe that my little one is sitting on the lap of his great-granparents right now!

     
  • At 12/19/2006 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i'm so glad karina is doing fine. praise God!

     
  • At 12/20/2006 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i too felt like uncle joe, my first thought was you were quitting blogging or something!!!

    whew

     
  • At 12/21/2006 12:13 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Good for Karina!
    BTW, how far are you from Chicago now?
    ..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home