The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Friday, April 21, 2006

Training Wheels

As I was walking home from work I noticed a little boy barreling down the sidewalk toward me on his bike. He appeared to be about 5 or 6 years old.
"Beep, beep! Look out!", he glared at me.
I sidestepped in time, and avoided being bowled over. Stepping back onto the sidewalk, I glanced around. His father was sitting on the steps of the house I'd just passed.
Not a word.
Well, maybe he was waiting until I was out of earshot to give his son some instruction...

Two blocks down I noticed several cars stopped in the intersection. One of them was a police car with blue lights flashing.
A three car accident? Four?
Approaching, I noticed they were all police cars. One with blue lights flashing and four unmarked. There, with hands cuffed behind their backs, legs spread, and faces pressed onto the hood of one of the cars, were two young teens, two bicycles lying on the sidewalk nearby.
Wonder what they did to deserve a five-car salute. Did they steal those bikes? Were they buying drugs? Selling them?
My first thought was of their mothers. They were about to have a beautiful spring evening ruined.
And maybe there are a couple of dads out there today wondering where they went wrong.

10 Comments:

  • At 4/22/2006 9:01 PM, Blogger Kc said…

    It always starts with the things that seem little.

     
  • At 4/23/2006 5:57 PM, Blogger Rachel said…

    Parents need to take more interest in their kids and what they are doing and teach them when they are little.

    Sad....

     
  • At 4/23/2006 6:38 PM, Blogger Dapoppins said…

    I always worry about my boys mannars when I am not watching, but I know that their Dad, had he been paying attention, would have stoped such rudeness right away' course he was most likely mowing the lawn and missed it.

     
  • At 4/23/2006 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i've always believed that discipline should begin while kids are still kids, while they're still young.

    so sad...

     
  • At 4/24/2006 1:24 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    You got see the whole story of life for some, right there in a few minutes time.
    ..

     
  • At 4/24/2006 9:30 AM, Blogger Whistle Britches said…

    If the little boy on the tricycle had a dark cape and mask on then that was me and I apologize cause I really didn't see you...

     
  • At 4/24/2006 5:11 PM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said…

    That seems like a lot of police cars for just those boys on bikes. I'd say there were drugs involved. How very sad.

     
  • At 4/24/2006 10:20 PM, Blogger Brotha Buck said…

    I hope i never experience that scene with my son.

     
  • At 4/26/2006 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that is really sad. and thats a lot of cars for 2 kids. did you ever find out what happened?

     
  • At 4/29/2006 10:00 PM, Blogger Susie Hovendick Chan said…

    Scary. Even scarier, I see myself in that Dad.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home