The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Pegged

I looked across the counter at the bank teller, then at her name tag: PRECIOUS.

That gal's name is Precious, I thought to myself. The wheels started turning: I wonder if she is. Precious, that is. I wonder if her mother thought about how a name like that might affect her life. I wonder if it HAS affected her life? I wonder what her middle name is... Darling? Baby? Sweetheart?

On the drive home, I thought about it some more. I wonder if she's married? What does her husband call her when he's mad at her? Precious -Darling, -Baby, -Sweetheart.... by the time he'd said her name, he'd be over his anger, wouldn't he?

Later, as I walked to work, I pondered the subject further. Some names are just plain hard to live up to. I'm glad my parents named me Karen. No pressure there.

I like my name, and feel honored to have it. My mom had chosen it, her grandmother's name, to give her first daughter, but ended up saving it for me, her third daughter. Makes me feel special whenever I think about it.

Here are some names I'm glad she didn't pick for me:

April. (or May or June) I was born in November and wouldn't want to spend my life trying to explain it.

Bambi. (As a young nursing student I talked a new mother out of saddling her ten-pound baby girl with this moniker.) It's apparent my mom didn't envision for me a future as an exotic dancer.

Melody. While I can carry a tune, I'm not what you'd call particularly gifted in vocal music.

Joy. A good name, but hard to live up to. What about all those times when I wouldn't feel particularly joyful? Same thing with Charity or Faith. On second thought: could having a name like that have a positive effect on a person? Could living as Joy, Charity, or Faith make someone more joyful, charitable, or faithful?

I wonder if Precious feels cherished.

11 Comments:

  • At 4/20/2006 10:51 PM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    My brother and wife gave me the funniest baby name book of "bad baby names" when I was pregnant. All about why NOT to name your kid something like Bambi.

    I was named after my dad. Cheryl is the feminine of Charles, or so some books say. It made me feel loved and wanted that I was named after him.

     
  • At 4/21/2006 1:52 AM, Blogger Jim said…

    I think Precious is precious. I think she feels precious too.
    Do you remember Chastity?
    ..

     
  • At 4/21/2006 2:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i think you'll find all those names you listed in my country. haha...

     
  • At 4/21/2006 4:17 AM, Blogger Kc said…

    While I was reading this and considering all the implications I thought of how many Mexican mothers name their sons Jesus.

    One name that I'm sure no one would want is Judas!

     
  • At 4/21/2006 6:54 AM, Blogger Corry said…

    Maybe they do live up to their name. When I look at Amber, her hair is about that color:-)

    I think I would prefer Faith over Fate!

    God's Grace.

     
  • At 4/21/2006 8:02 AM, Blogger audrey` said…

    May our Heavenly Father answer all your heart's desires according to His will.
    God bless you, Karen :)

     
  • At 4/21/2006 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's funny. My 13 year old wasn't going to be "Jessica" until I saw her fight so hard to be born. Then the strength of that name hit us like a brick and she became, and has become "Jessica". Not Jess, or Jessie, but Jessica.
    When I found out it meant "wealthy in love" I felt even more confident that we chose correctly.

     
  • At 4/21/2006 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hmmm, interesting. what about Gay? would you like that one? my mom's name is Karen, spelled the same as yours.

    i know a lot of karens for some reason. until just recently i did not know anyone with my name. weird huh? hardly any of me around. my mom thought about naming me Beanie. (beanie malone books) i'm so glad she didn't.

    i'm also glad you had the forsight to talk that lady out of the bambi name. i wish you were around more often, when i hear the names of some kids, i cringe. and people need to make sure the first name actually goes with the last name.

    by the way, my middle name is May. i've never liked it.

     
  • At 4/23/2006 6:36 PM, Blogger Dapoppins said…

    I think all mothers should avoid naming their children using the name often used for a beloved pet.

    My boys each have two middle names, so they can do an easy name swich later in life, my daughter we got carried away with, she has Three middle names! I know, it is foolish, but we couldn't help ourselves.

     
  • At 4/24/2006 9:25 AM, Blogger Whistle Britches said…

    My mom was a college english teacher and came up with a list of names NOT to name your daughter after noticing various tendencies in girls behavior.
    One of them was Tiffany....I can't remember the others right now.

     
  • At 4/26/2006 2:43 PM, Blogger Cedar said…

    Whether it is my name or not, I have always felt comfortable in the woods.

    As for other people and their children's names, I see a lot of odd ones with our business. Today it was Gannon. The other day it was two girls, Joey and T. You really have to wonder sometimes.

    Cedar

     

Post a Comment

<< Home