The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Getting Through


When I answered the phone, I expected to hear my daughter's voice. Instead, it was a small voice, "Papi? Papi!"

"Reiley, hi!. This isn't Papi. It's Vovó." Silence.... then, "Vovó!"

Apparently, he's figured out that the phone is a pretty neat invention. When he gets the whim, he hands the phone to Karina, wanting to call Grampa. Right now the conversations are quite one-sided, but that's okay. Just knowing he can get through to his Papi or Vovó whenever he wants is pretty thrilling. (I wonder if it's more thrilling for him or for us?)

There's a parallel here.... I'm thinking about how easy it is to "get through" to God in prayer. I want to get away from life's 'busyness', thinking I need an appointment with the Lord, or worrying about bothering Him with the small stuff. How about re-capturing that vibrant, child-like thrill of communing with the Lord? He's so available and approachable; wanting us to come to Him "at all times" and "without ceasing". Just like Reiley knows he can do with us.

And, just so you know.... one of these days it will be Josiah's turn to discover the phone.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home