The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Thursday, October 06, 2005

God's Handiwork


I had just filled the bird bath and was heading for the back door, bucket in hand, when I heard the neighbor's window go up, and a, "Yoo hoo! I just got a birth announcement from your daughter and that baby is bee-oo-tiful!" Well, of course I had to stop and chat a while, mostly listening to her rave about Luke's fluffy, dark hair and his perfect skin ("He wasn't all wrinkly, or anything!")

As a Grandma, you naturally think your grandchildren are the cutest, and when someone else wants on your bandwagon you're inclined to give them a hand up.

This morning I caught myself. After she pronounced him "bee-oo-tiful", I almost said, "Thank you". Almost. As if I had anything to do with it.

I needed a better response. Here's what I said: "Yes, isn't he special?" Here's what I should have added: "Isn't God's handiwork awesome?!" Next time. The next time I will give credit where credit is due.

As I stowed my bucket in the laundry room, I was feeling very grateful to an immense God who allows us to fill our hearts with his tiny miracles, and always gives us another chance to share them with others.

2 Comments:

  • At 10/07/2005 9:16 AM, Blogger andrĂ© said…

    I wouldn't say the miracles are so tiny... maybe the baby is tiny, but still a huge miracle!

     
  • At 1/18/2006 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Since many birds seek the shelter of bird baths to escape from summer's oppressive heat, placing a bird bath under the shade of trees in your yard will further entice birds to your area. Find out more about verdigris pedestal bird bath

     

Post a Comment

<< Home