The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Karina Beth

Everyone should have at least one daughter. I've been saying that for almost 27 years now. All my siblings have two or more, and I was blessed with just one; sandwiched in between her brothers.

As a baby and toddler, she didn't have time to cuddle and snuggle, she was too busy exploring her world: finding a juicy nightcrawler in the grass, mixing raw eggs and ketchup on the kitchen floor, carrying her blankie and Raggamuffin doll everywhere.

As a pre-schooler, she couldn't sit down to rest; she might miss something. She even stood while we read books together. I think she was about 5 years old when she discovered Dad's lap. She remarked, "You do make a pretty good chair."

The childhood, the school years, sports, college, dating.... eveything seems to have flown by in a whirlwind.

Now she's married (three years this week!) to a great guy, who matches and complements her determination and organization, and has enriched our lives with the gift of a grandson, and the hopeful prospect of another.

As I observe her in motherhood, I have to say I've been caught off-guard. Sure, there are times when she's ready for a time-out, but I am absolutely in admiration at her poise, gentleness, love, and pure joy as a mother.

We've grown closer, and I love that.
It's true. A daughter really is a little girl who grows up to be your friend.

P.S. Happy Birthday on Thursday, KB!

1 Comments:

  • At 7/25/2005 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You really captured Karina in your words, Karen! Can she still stand on her head? Grandma Mimi adds Happy Birthday wishes to yours for Karina. I love you both very much.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home