The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Tell the stories

I'm into chapter six of the latest novel I picked up over the weekend. Not exactly speed reading, to be sure. But, when there's a choice between playing with Reiley or reading a few pages, you can bet I'll play. It seems I've been doing a lot more playing than reading these days. Our son-in-law has job prospects in another city, and they may be moving soon, so I'm getting lots of "grandma time" while I can.

I found a neat quote from The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd.
"Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can't remember who we are or why we're here."
The older I get the more I understand the importance of telling the stories. If you know things about your parents or grandparents: how they lived, what they dreamed; it gives you a connection to your place in the story. It can give you a better understanding of how you became
you.

When I started thinking deeper about this quote, I realized that there needs to
be a story in the first place, and what we're doing today will become the stories that are told. So, while I plan to keep on telling what I've learned from the past, I also plan to keep on playing, and living the stories for the future.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home