The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Friday, July 29, 2005

Go Army





I thought our youngest, Mark, might join the Army after high school. That was five years ago, and seemed like a relatively safe option. But life has its twists and turns. Sometimes you just stand by and crane your neck to watch the roller coaster as it loops, soars, dives and rolls. And sometimes you actually climb in, ride along, and hang on for dear life.

I've been known to be, at times, a "white knuckles" mom, especially with Mark. Who thought that launching child number three would become such an all-consuming, heart-rending process?

In my calm moments, I take God at His word: "Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10) So easy. Believe God. Trust God.

Then I look again at the careening roller coaster, expecting it to fly off the rails at any moment. I need to step in, suggest a tamer ride; something that moves slowly in a straight line...
Suggestions usually don't work. But God does. And He does things in His time.

And now is the time that Mark has chosen to enlist in the Army. A scarier time than five years ago, to be sure. He's stepped off the roller coaster onto another type of ride. Definitely not one that goes slowly in a straight line, but believe it or not, it's a ride I'm looking forward to watching. It's sure to have its share of loops and rolls, but I'm trusting God. And I need to keep remembering His promises.

2 Comments:

  • At 8/01/2005 8:12 AM, Blogger andrĂ© said…

    I'm glad to see people who can really trust.
    'Cause you wouldn't believe how hard it is for me to trust God right now.
    I feel like God's just been pounding me in the head for the last months. I really want to trust Him and accept the way He's doing things. but is so, so hard. can't find any comfort in Him lately.

     
  • At 8/02/2005 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ...thanks for the reminders of God's great promises; and that He does work - in His time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home