The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Firstborn Saturdays

Like today, it was another Saturday morning, many years ago.
Unlike today, it dawned gray and drizzly, on the cusp of Brazilian winter. (Mothers remember these things, so they can tell their children what their birthdays were like.)

How far we've traveled in twenty-eight years! And, for the most part, it's been an easy-rolling, scenic drive, filled with achievement and adventure.
I wish we could map the whole route; know that the trip would be smooth and trouble-free. But even with the best planning, detours and delays happen.

We didn't know his own beautiful firstborn wouldn't live to take her first breath. That was a Saturday, too... a blue-sky, sunny, September Saturday.
But, God...

Yes..... God.
He is still Holy. He is still Sovereign. He is still Worthy.

Roadblocks happen. Sometimes the detour leads to a better destination.
Happy Birthday, my gentle firstborn.

1 Comments:

  • At 6/04/2005 11:49 AM, Blogger andrĂ© said…

    truly moving. I am on the verge of crying, as I wirte this.
    thant part about the holiness, sovereignty and woth of God... and how the detour might lead to a better destinations... that's so true. and that's happening in my life right now. it hurts, and I don't know where the detour will take me. but I know that God holds my future, and that's a good thing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home