The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Gardening is an educational hobby. I started my apprenticeship a few years ago with a small (they're all small in Chicago) vegetable garden. It's an apprenticeship in that, while there is a lot of trial and error involved, I've been observing and learning from other gardeners and their methods. It's surprising how much produce can be seen growing in small dirt patches, squeezed between fence and garage, as you stroll up and down the alleys in my neighborhood. Gardening is educational in that there is a lot of trial and error involved. If you're able (and willing) to learn from your mistakes, and if you live long enough, you can have a pretty good garden.

Besides the vegetables, I've tried my hand at flowers.... but not too seriously. So, I think it's time to exert a bit more energy in that direction. Maybe I'm ready to learn the difference between an Arisaema triphyllum and a Podophyllum peltatum. Maybe. Whatever they're called, I hope I can discover the right blend of colorful, fragrant blooms that will brighten any alley-walker's day. And I hope I'm a fast learner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home