The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Friday, December 29, 2006

Our Little Helper

This morning Jason dropped the boys off at our house so he could be with Karina and the twins (in the hospital). Then I got called in to work for a couple of hours. No problem; PR is very experienced in handling the little ones. However, he did have a bit of an adventure when it came time to take them home for lunch and naps.

I got a phone call...
"Hey, what's the code to their garage door? I got all the way over there and couldn't remember it."
(He had driven back home (3 miles) to use our phone, since we'd cancelled our terrible cell phone service.)
I gave him the code.
He drove back to their house and opened the garage door, only to find the inside door (the one they never lock) locked.
"Well, Reiley, what do I do now?"
"Use your keys, Papi."
"My keys won't work here. There must be a key here someplace..."
"Look in the shoe."
PR started searching inside the various shoes lined up on a shelf. Bingo! He found the key.

Never underestimate the observation powers of a two year old. PR should've just asked Reiley for the garage code in the first place.

This evening I had my own adventure of sorts. I took the laundry from the dryer to the kitchen to fold it, and while I was gone Reiley put the rest of the dirty clothes into the front loader, closed the door and started the washer. He'd have put in the detergent and softener, too, if he'd been able to reach that high.

I'm trying to figure out how to harness all that energy and helpfulness.

12 Comments:

  • At 12/29/2006 10:37 PM, Blogger South of the Equator said…

    Let me know when you find out. We have a lot of spare energy over here that needs to be harnessed too.
    Also you'd better find a new hiding place for the spare key.... oh wait, they don't lock their doors out there anyway do they?

     
  • At 12/30/2006 6:08 AM, Blogger Suzy-Q said…

    Reiley you are a man after my heart! :o)

     
  • At 12/30/2006 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jason & Karina are going to need all the help they can get and it looks like Reiley will be someone to call on!

    It's okay PR can't remember the code... how many phone numbers, PIN's, etc can we carry around in our heads anyway? Maybe he needs a little "cheat sheet" in his wallet with all the essential info... okay, but where did he leave his wallet??!!

    pb

     
  • At 12/30/2006 9:36 AM, Blogger Whistle Britches said…

    That's why God put little boys in charge of the whole wide world.

    Please don't tell Cassi.

     
  • At 12/30/2006 10:02 AM, Blogger Curious Servant said…

    That was sweet. I miss havng little kids around.

    I don't know why I haven't visited in so long.

    It was worth digging through the blogs to find this.

    Happy new year.

     
  • At 12/30/2006 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Could Reiley come for a visit and teach his cousins how to do laundry? Too cute. :-)

     
  • At 12/31/2006 11:46 AM, Blogger Whistle Britches said…

    ps. I've got some excellent Batman training videos I could send them to direct their energies in the right direction.

     
  • At 12/31/2006 9:37 PM, Blogger Paul Nichols said…

    Happy New Year. Wishing you many blessings and another set of twin grandkids that arrive when they're suppose to.

    Many 07 blessings to your whole family.

     
  • At 1/01/2007 2:48 AM, Blogger audrey` said…

    Blessed New Year 2007 =)

     
  • At 1/01/2007 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    thats awesome, your little helper! and so observant

     
  • At 1/02/2007 10:37 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    Happy New Year -- Sounds like things are getting along pretty good with your new home.
    Please keep us posted on Kate and Karina. Congratulations!
    My Karen and I were in Center Point/Cedar Rapids last week seeing my Dad. He will be 97 in January.
    ..

     
  • At 1/03/2007 3:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wishing you and your family all the best this new year. God bless!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home