The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Remembering Liana


Three years ago this morning, my son and I were standing on either side of Andrea's hospital bed, as she gave birth to the lifeless little body of our first grandchild. Two days earlier, on September 11th (Dreadful Day), my heart had broken at Daniel's phone call, "They can't find a heartbeat." It was a grief like I had never known.

Holding Liana was excruciating, but peaceful. The perfect paradox. Fullterm, brought into the world, simply lacking the breath of life. The hardest thing I've ever had to do was to say goodbye before ever saying hello.

I remember her often, not only when September rolls around. I wonder about her, and feel sad that we didn't have the joy of seeing her grow and play and learn. But I have confidence, praise God, that we will know her in heaven, a beautiful child of God.

Her middle name is Hope.

6 Comments:

  • At 9/14/2006 12:31 AM, Blogger Cheryl said…

    And a beautiful name it is.

    This makes me think of the hymn "It is Well With My Soul." You'll see your beautiful girl someday.

    -Cheryl

     
  • At 9/14/2006 8:04 AM, Blogger andrĂ© said…

    like Johnny cash used to sing:

    "One of these days and it won't be long
    I'll rejoin them in a song
    I'm gonna join the family circle at the throne.
    [...]
    We'll be together again up yonder in a little while"

     
  • At 9/14/2006 11:41 AM, Blogger Kc said…

    We really do have so much to look forward to! I pray the days of waiting will be filled with great anticipation.

     
  • At 9/14/2006 11:54 AM, Blogger Corry said…

    A beautiful name for a beautiful girl! I am grateful you can look forward to spend eternal life with her. :-) Our thoughts and prayers are with y'all.

    God's Grace.

     
  • At 9/16/2006 6:57 PM, Blogger Suzy-Q said…

    What a joyful reunion you will have someday........

     
  • At 9/19/2006 12:41 AM, Blogger audrey` said…

    Please be strong, dear.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home