The First Hundred

...in the light of eternity. "Life's a tough proposition, and the first hundred years are the hardest." Wilson Mizner

Monday, May 29, 2006

Gabriel, I presume?

Before I post any pictures from our little road trip, I want to let you know how God gave me a "pick-me-up" the morning we were getting ready to leave.

PR and I were out for our early morning walk, and as we approached a street corner we heard a car coming with its radio blaring.

Wait a minute... that's no radio. That guy is playing a trumpet!!

As the driver pulled up to the stop sign, he quit blowing long enough to look left and right. Then, with pursed lips, he pulled away and resumed his tooting. We laughed out loud!

It sounded like warm-up drills. We pondered aloud whether he was on his way home or just heading out for a gig. Or, maybe his wife doesn't allow him to practice at home. (I grew up playing the trumpet, and remember many times being asked very nicely to go outside and serenade the neighborhood, or at least to "put a mute in it!")

I've seen people performing many life skills while driving, but this one tops them all. I guess the Lord knew I needed a good chuckle.

6 Comments:

  • At 5/29/2006 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sometimes I get asked to put a mute in it too and I don't even play the trumpet!!

     
  • At 5/29/2006 9:57 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    How was his playing? Maybe he was getting ready for work, standing in the street with a bucket. Or there with a group.
    ..

     
  • At 5/30/2006 12:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a fun experience for you! One of the oddities of life. Let's see, maybe he is auditioning for Gabriel's band, or planning a march around Jericho... or warming up because he was late to a gig.

     
  • At 5/30/2006 7:32 AM, Blogger John Cowart said…

    Once I saw a lady driving in stop-and-go traffic with an embroidery hoop proped on the steering wheel and sewing during as she drove.

    Couldn't afford a cell phone I suppose.

     
  • At 5/30/2006 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that is hilarious!! i've never seen such a thing, but now i want to!

     
  • At 5/31/2006 12:27 AM, Blogger audrey` said…

    This is so hilarious!
    HaHaHa!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home